Delicious tender pieces of chicken bathed in a rich and creamy sauce, with a surprise twist. This heartwarming low-carb stew will keep you satisfied for hours.
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 200 g celery stalks, diced
- 110 g yellow onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 750 g boneless chicken thighs, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1.2 liters chicken stock
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered and cut into 1/4″ strips
- 200 g zucchini, cut into chunks
- 600 g fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
- Salt ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, for garnishing (optional)
- Place the butter into a heavy-based pot and melt over medium-high heat. Stir in the celery, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add half of the chicken stock to the pot. Cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a new saucepan, add the cauliflower and remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to medium-low. Cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes to soften the cauliflower. Once softened, blend with an immersion blender or hand mixer until smooth.
- Combine the chicken mixture with the blended cauliflower broth (creating a thicker base for the stew). Add the bell pepper and zucchini and stir together. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you prefer a thinner soup, add some more chicken broth to your desired consistency. Some like it thin and some thick.
Spice it up by adding some yellow curry powder.