3 Servings or 2 adults and 2 children
- 350g turkey thigh mince
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 150g ball mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 4 garlic breadsticks or garlic bread slices, torn or chopped into chunks
- 25g cheddar, grated
- green salad or spaghetti, to serve
- Combine the mince, oregano, fennel seeds and some seasoning in a bowl. Take walnut-sized pieces of the mixture and roll into balls. Heat half the oil in a large, shallow ovenproof pan and cook the meatballs until browned all over – don’t worry if they’re not cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add the onion. Cook until softened, about 10-12 mins, stirring regularly. Stir in the garlic for another minute, then the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and sugar.
- Simmer for 10-15 mins, then season to taste. Place the meatballs on top of the sauce, then add the mozzarella, garlic bread and the cheddar on top. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden and crisp.