Your taste buds have been begging for this low-carb sauce, and you didn’t even know it! It’s creamy with warming spices, and loves anything you pair it with – especially these cinnamon apples!
- 600 ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 apples, preferably a type that is firm and tart.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Add butter, vanilla, optional star anise to a sauce pan together with about ¼ of the heavy whipping cream. Bring the mixture to a light boil by placing the sauce pan over medium heat. Lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or more until the sauce turns creamy. Stir frequently.
- Remove from the heat and remove the star anise. Add the egg yolk while whisking vigorously. Place in the refrigerator and let cool completely. You can prepare the flavoured cream up to 1 day before, and refrigerate.
- Whisk the remaining heavy whipping cream in a bowl until soft peaks form, and fold in the refrigerated sauce.
- Place back in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or more. You can add the cream sauce to serving cups to make it thicken up faster.
- Wash the apples and peel them if you want to but there’s really no need for that. The peel adds colour, flavour and texture.
- Core the apple and slice thinly. Heat up butter in a frying pan and brown the slices until golden. Add cinnamon towards the end.
- Serve the apples warm with the vanilla sauce.
The sauce goes great with various desserts, where you would normally have served vanilla custard. For example, you can heat a couple of blackberries or raspberries and serve with the vanilla sauce. Put it in the freezer and you’ll have a luxurious ice cream!