Mmmm, a creamy cauliflower casserole with crispy bacon and lots of cheese. It’s super easy to prepare and the result is super delicious. If you’re looking for satisfaction, give this superlative cheesy low carb dish a try!
- 110 g bacon
- 450 g cauliflower
- 150 ml crème fraîche or sour cream
- 225 g (475 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. Fry until crispy in a hot frying pan. Reserve the fat for serving.
- Break the cauliflower into florets. Boil until soft in lightly salted water. Drain completely.
- Chop the cauliflower roughly. Add sour cream and garlic powder, if you’re using any. Combine well with 3/4 of the cheese and most of the finely chopped chives. Salt and pepper.
- Place in a baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with the bacon, the rest of the chives, and the bacon fat that adds a nice extra flavour and taste.
If you don’t want to use your oven, you can microwave the cauliflower until the cheese has melted — especially if you have a microwave with grill function.
If you don’t have any fresh chives at home, you can use dried chives or any finely chopped mild onion.
This casserole works great as a simple meal with a crispy salad or as a side dish.