Looking for comfort food? This creamy chicken casserole is a modern take on an old favorite. Loaded with savory mushrooms, chicken and cheese as well as cauliflower rice, this meal will leave you feeling warm and satisfied.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 650 g chicken breasts
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 150 g mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g fresh spinach
- 275 g fresh, cauliflower rice
- 250 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil, for greasing
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 15 g pea sprouts, for garnishing (optional)
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 225 ml chicken broth
- 125 ml heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, lightly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 13×9 inch (33×23 cm) casserole dish.
- Heat 2/3 of the olive oil in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Slice each chicken breast in half, diagonally. Season with 1/2 of the garlic powder, the onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan, and cook until lightly browned, and reaches an internal temperature of 74°C. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Warm the remaining oil in the same pan, over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, spinach, and the remaining garlic powder. Sauté until the mushrooms are browned and crisp on the edges. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the mixture from the pan, and set aside.
- Roughly chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken, cauliflower rice, mushroom mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella into a large mixing bowl. Stir together until combined, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the arrowroot powder with a splash of chicken stock, forming a paste.
- Add the rest of the chicken stock, arrowroot paste, and heavy whipping cream to the frying pan. Whisk together over medium-high heat, without bringing it to a boil. Stir in the salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer for a few minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce into the chicken mixture, and mix together. Spoon into the prepared casserole dish, and top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with tin foil, and bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, remove the foil and then bake uncovered for the remaining 10 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned. For serving, garnish with a pinch of pea sprouts.