Hearty and spicy like you daydream about. Loaded with classic Tex-Mex goodness — minus the carbs — this easy casserole will satisfy all your south-of-the-border cravings. And say goodbye to store-bought guac and packaged taco seasonings! Making your own is simple, healthy and delicious.
- 650 g ground beef
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 200 g crushed tomatoes
- 50 g pickled jalapeños
- 200 g (425 ml) shredded cheese
- 225 ml crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 150 g leafy greens or iceberg lettuce
- 225 ml guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Fry the ground beef in butter on medium high heat, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add Tex-Mex seasoning and crushed tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to see if it needs additional salt and pepper.
- Place the ground-beef mixture in a greased baking dish (about 9″ or 23 cm in diameter). Top with jalapeños and cheese.
- Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Chop the scallion finely and mix with the crème fraîche or sour cream in a separate bowl.
- Serve the casserole warm with a dollop of the crème fraîche or sour cream, guacamole and a green salad.