Are you a steak and chip purist with a low-carb lifestyle? This recipe is for you. There is nothing to distract from the flavor of the meat other than a hint of garlic and rosemary. By using rutabaga instead of potato, you can still enjoy this classic dish and stay true to your low-carb diet.
- 550 g rutabaga, peeled and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 450 g sirloin steak or ribeye steaks, 1 per portion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the rutabaga in salted water for about 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the rutabaga is boiling, heat a large frying pan over medium- high heat and add the butter, garlic, and rosemary sprigs. When hot, add the steaks and season the top sides with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Fry for about 2 minutes on each side for rare and 3 minutes on each side for medium. Turn the steaks and season the other side. Tilt the pan and spoon the butter over the steaks as you cook them.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and set them aside to rest on a board or warm plate, tipping half of the butter over the top.
- Keep the pan over medium-high heat and add the rutabaga. Season and fry the chips for 3–4 minutes or until lightly browned all over. Serve straight away with the steaks.