In this recipe, we have combined the traditional Spanish “ratatouille with egg” with a few slices of Serrano ham for an extra boost of protein and flavor.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 55 g (80 ml) yellow onions chopped
- 140 g green bell peppers chopped
- 70 g red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 200 g zucchini, cut into 0,2 inches (0.5 cm) cubes
- 230 g (300 ml) tomatoes, grated
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 200 g ham, cured
- In a pan, stir-fry the onion and peppers in half of the oil for five minutes. Season with a bit of salt so that the onion releases its water and the vegetables cook more easily.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- Add the zucchini, sauté for two minutes and then add the tomato. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer together over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes until everything is cooked through, the sauce has thickened a bit, and the vegetables are tender but still whole.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a frying pan with the remaining oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready, serve the ratatouille on individual plates with the egg on top and the slices of ham on the side.
The ratatouille can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.