Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 2 pork chops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, skin-on and bashed lemon, cut into wedges
- 30g butter
- 2 thyme sprigs
For the Jersey Royal & broad bean smash
- 300g Jersey Royal potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 mint sprig
- 250g podded broad beans
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Take the pork chops out of the fridge 1 hr before cooking. Put the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water and 2 tsp of salt. Throw in the mint, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Cook the beans in the same water for 4-8 mins, depending on size, then drain and rinse under cold water and peel. Crush half with the potatoes, season and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Pat the chops dry with a kitchen towel and season with sea salt on both sides, then place in the pan and do not move until they are caramelised and come away from the pan – around 3-4 mins. Turn the chops, then add the garlic and lemon, cut-side down. Cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Remove the lemon and set aside. Add the butter to the pan, shaking to distribute it, then toss in the thyme. Baste the chops continuously with the butter, garlic and thyme for a couple of mins more, turning to coat both sides. Remove from the pan to rest.
- Add the spring onions and chilli flakes and cook for 5-8 mins until tender. Tip in the potato mix, tossing with the spring onions, and cook for a few mins, allowing crusty bits to form on the Jerseys. Turn off the heat, toss in the herbs, then divide between plates and top with the remaining beans. Serve with the chops, and squeeze over the caramelised lemon.