Asparagus is extremely low in carbs and packed with nutrients. This salad is inspired by the Peruvian cuisine. Peru is actually one of the world’s main producers of this tasty and versatile veggie. This wonderfully fresh salad features raw asparagus and highlights the flavor with lemon, Parmesan, and just a touch of red pepper. Those flavors, combined with the crunch of the walnuts in every bite, make this a perfect side dish.
- 125 ml walnuts, chopped
- 500 g fresh green asparagus
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 ml avocado oil
- 2 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 125 ml Parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 g fresh mint, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 175º C.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- While the walnuts are in the oven, prepare the asparagus by cutting off the bottom ends, which are quite fibrous and tough (See the Tips section below, for an easy method). Next, cut the remaining asparagus into thin, angled slices.
- Put the lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Add the hot chili flakes, salt, avocado oil and olive oil.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Add the asparagus slices to the bowl along with the toasted walnuts. Mix the salad gently but well using a rubber spatula.
- Decorate the salad with the mint leaves and serve immediately.