A quick and flavoursome low-carb chicken curry, South Indian style! Succulent pieces of chicken and mushroom infused with a delicious blend of spices and a rich coconut gravy. A delicious hot dish, no matter the season.
- 550 g skinless boneless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tbsp (15 g) ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green chilli pepper
- 100 g white onions
- 100 g mushrooms
- 425 ml coconut cream
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a bowl, combine the chicken with the salt, pepper, red chilli powder, ground coriander and ginger garlic paste. Allow to marinate for a few minutes.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Once it gets hot, add the bay leaf and the cinnamon stick.
- Add the green chilli pepper and chicken. Pierce the skin of the chilli or chop it to prevent it from exploding. Sometimes they burst when cooked whole.
- Cook the chicken until it starts to get some colour. Add the onions and mushrooms and stir well to combine.
- Once the mushrooms start to release their juice, add the coconut milk and the curry leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5-6 minutes until all the flavours are well infused and the onions have softened.
- Season with salt and finish with a generous sprinkle of coriander.