Chicken korma is a traditional Indian dish with dozens of different variations. However, they all have one thing in common: they are all oh so full of flavour and we want them now! Here is a keto version of this wonderful Indian dish made with chicken and cooked in a rich onion gravy with an arsenal of spices.
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 110 g Greek yogurt
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 450 g skinless chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp (5 g) ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- ½ tsp garam masala seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the ghee in a wok or heavy-bottomed saucepan and deep-fry the onions on low-medium heat until they get a nice golden brown colour.
- Remove the fried onions from the pan. Mix yogurt with the onions in a blender so you get a creamy paste.
- Reheat the ghee in the saucepan. Once it gets hot add cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise, green cardamom pods and black peppercorns. Fry for 30 seconds or until they start to sizzle.
- Add the chicken thighs and drumsticks. Season thoroughly with salt. Add the ginger garlic paste, combine well and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cumin powder. Combine well and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the fried onion yogurt paste, combine well. Add some water. You can use the water to rinse out the blender so don’t waste any of the paste. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.